[sane-devel] scanimage timeouts

Marcel Pol mpol at gmx.net
Tue Jan 21 10:06:35 GMT 2003

Hello,
I currently use Sane 1.0.9, and when I enable all backends it takes a long
time to run scanimage -L
I ran Xsane with sane_debug_dll=128, and I experienced long timeouts with
these backends:

snapscan:  9 seconds
plustek:	 15 seconds
dc210:  11 seconds
dc25:  30 seconds

At the moment I don't have any scanners attached.
I use Mandrake's rpm, which also has the viceo backend, plustek 0.45,
primaxscan 1.1beta1, hp4200 0.3 and testtool 20021120_1 patched into it.
Probably I should just run debugging on the backends mentioned on top, and
report that, right?

The easy fix ofcourse is to only enable the backend I use myself, but that's
just a solution for myself. It shouldn't take this long to do a scan for
scanners.

Would it be an idea to run a first scan, checking if there are usb or scsi
devices, and if there's for example no usb device, that backends will not scan
for an usb scanner, only for scsi or parport. This might speed up scanning in
a more general way.
Or maybe running sane-find-scanner first. If that doesn't find a scanner, then
there's no use scanning with the backends. Or am I wrong on that one?

Greetings,
--
Marcel Pol