[sane-devel] Re: Spot scanners / need help on some notions

Thomas VIAL el_profesorfr at yahoo.fr
Tue May 13 07:09:18 BST 2003

> Well, good luck! To be honest, I'm not sure if it's
> worth the trouble :-)

That sounds encouraging! :)

Well, honestly, it looks quite easy (with the help of
the debugging info of course), though it's challenging
since I'm not familiar with drivers in the Linux world
-- and little in the Windows world.
I can't use the scanner with my newer PC because of
the ISA card, and don't want to buy a new scanner. So
it's worth the trouble for me!
Also, if I can achieve this all, needless to say I'll
be proud of it.

> Interpolation is done in the driver, so you can also
> interpolate to 10000000 dpi if you like :-)

Actually I was mentioning the adverted specs so that
people can tell if they own the same scanner. Anybody?
Please, don't be shy! Ok, nevermind... ;-)

Also, thanks for your recommendations on the source
code & compiling considerations. Concerning the
latter, is there another ISA-based driver+backend I
can look at, in order to know which functions are
portable to any architecture and which are not (this
is not urgent matter as you can guess)?

BTW, I've read somewhere (I think it's in asm/io.h)
that isa_readb() and isa_writeb() were to become
obsolete and that ioremap() & friends should be used
instead. Did I get it right?

Thanks,

Thomas