[sane-devel] sane-config issue: Someone using Mandrake 9.1 ?

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Thu May 15 12:08:06 BST 2003

Hi,

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 08:24:02AM +0200, Michael Herder wrote:
> AFAIK the configure script in sane-frontends (and also QuiteInsane and
> probably XSane ?) relies on the output of "sane-config --libs" and adds it
> output to LIBS.

Where does "sane-config" come from? If it's from the sane-backends
source package, all of the -dev packages should have been installed,
because otherwise the sane-backends build wouldn't work. If it's from
the sane-backends-dev RPM, I think that RPM should depend on all the
necessary -dev RPMs to build a frontend. That's the whole idea of
sane-config.

> Example: The "libusb*" package installs /usr/lib/libusb-0.1.so.4 and
> /usr/lib/libusb-0.1.so.4.1.1, but the symlink /usr/lib/libusb.so is only
> created if one installs the "libusb-devel*" package.

I think this is ok.

> However, one can install the "sane-devel*" package, without being forced to
> install the required additional devel packages too.

That's a bug IMHO (but I don't really know RPM based systems).

> When the user now tries to configure e.g. sane-frontends, (s)he gets the
> well known error message
> "ERROR: Couldn't find SANE libraries (sane-backends)."
> while the real problem is, that the test program could not link with libusb,
> libieee1284, libgphoto2 and so on...

The READMEs of the frontend should mention that you need the -dev
packages. Just to be sure...

> 2. Should we simply consider this a problem with broken dependencies on
> MDK9.1?

I think so. At least I don't know of anything the frontend developers
could to to avoid this situation.

> Does it also happen on other distros?

Debian Sarge:
$ apt-cache show libsane-dev
Package: libsane-dev
[...]
Depends: libsane (= 1.0.11-3), libusb-dev (>= 1:0.1.6a-1), libieee1284-3-dev (>= 0.2.3-1), libjpeg62-dev

Looks ok for me but I didn't test.