[sane-devel] Re: gamma-table value

Martin Collins martin at mkcollins.org
Thu May 15 16:51:53 BST 2003

On Thu, 15 May 2003 08:22:59 +0100
"F J Brooks" <fred at redgrave.screaming.net> wrote:

> An idle thought: "As I'm an unashamed, lazy 'icon-clicker' - rather
> than a'command-line-freak' [!!!], when I do get XSane working (which
> I am confident I shall), it would be nice if I could 'convert' the
> 'Scanner' icon on my desktop to an 'XSane' icon - then I can call up
> XSane more easily - rather than having to go thru the tedious
> business of raising a shell, then typing a command".

This should be quite easy :-) Try right-clicking the scanner icon and
selecting "properties" from the pop-up menu. There should be a text box
labelled "command" or "program". Just enter "xsane" in that box and click
OK. I'm guessing here as I don't use KDE (SuSE's default desktop) myself,
but it should be very similar to the way Windows does it.
If you install xsane from an RPM I imagine SuSE will set up an icon itself
or at least a menu option.

> I know that this is absolute heresy to the Linux community, and I
> shall be abused - if not 'drummed-out [!!!]

Not at all. I use icons myself occasionally, though I prefer to have them
on a panel or task-bar rather than on the desktop.

Martin