[sane-devel] epson 2450(firewire) crashes usb

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue May 20 16:26:39 BST 2003

On Tuesday 20 May 2003 06:38, rob wrote:
>On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 02:55, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Monday 19 May 2003 15:20, rob wrote:
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >I've just discovered that scanning crashes the usb system. What
>> > I get in syslog is this message:
>> >
>> >May 19 19:53:03 samantha kernel: uhci.c: a400: host system
>> > error, PCI problems?
>> >May 19 19:53:03 samantha kernel: uhci.c: a400: host controller
>> > halted. very bad
>> >
>> >Getting any more info is tricky as both my keyboard and mouse
>> > are usb.
>> >
>> >It's probably been a couple of months at least since I last
>> > scanned something so it's hard to know when the problem
>> > started prior to that it's been working great for at least 6
>> > months.
>> >
>> >I'm running debian sid. 2.4.20.  libsane 1.0.11. The scanner is
>> > the perfection 2450 photo. The crash happens after a couple of
>> > minutes of use. It happens with both the uhci and usb-uhci.
>> > With uhci the scanner continues to scan fine with usb-uhci it
>> > locks the scanner up too. I don't have any other firewire
>> > devices to test with.
>>
>> It might be your motherboard, older via chipsets would do that
>> quite regularly, or even totally freeze the machine in mid-scan.
>
>I really hope this isn't the case. The odd thing is that it was
> working great for ages (scanned in over 1000 negatives).

That does tend to put it in a different light then.  My crashing VIA
chipset was on a now 6 year old TYAN mobo, back when usb was still
a toy.

>Any way I've ordered a pci usb card when it comes I'll try varios
>combinations of plugging things in to try and rule out (or
> confirm) a hardware problem.

The kernel's usb has also been undergoing some work, and in one
case, printers, its always reporting the printer is out of paper,
but it prints just fine anyway.  This with kernels newer than
2.4.20 or so, presently 2.4.21-rc2-ck6 here.  I scanned some stuff
yesterday, but had to remove the epson from dll.conf before I
could, that was working, and now has died with nothing new except
the kernel version since the last time I scanned something and the
epson backend (iscan) worked just fine from xsane.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M