[sane-devel] Artec 1236USB (Unknown chip!)

Theodore Kilgore kilgota at banach.math.auburn.edu
Tue May 20 16:57:22 BST 2003

Gerhard (and anyone else interested in the matter),

At this point (apologies for slowness, but it isn't my scanner) my friend
has run check-usb-scanner on his Artec 1236USB and captured the output to
a log file. Here is the result which unfortunately seems to me rather
negative.

Of course, it does actually seem to me that "Device Class 0" and
"Interface Class 0"  could be obvious lies intended to deceive the
ignorant, so if check-usb-scanner is depending on the device doing an
accurate self-report about its device class, subclass, and protocol, there
may be a problem there. Not all devices report themselves truthfully. For
an example, go to the Linux Working USB Devices list (at www.qbik.cz?) and
do a search for Trumpion.  You will find there a pocket MP3 player which
lies and says its protocol is Control/Bulk (01) instead of Bulk (50).

Anyway, here is the output.

Theodore Kilgore

-----------output follows--------------

Copyright (C) 2003 Henning Meier-Geinitz <henning at meier-geinitz.de>.
Copyright (C) 2003 Gerhard Jaeger <gerhard at gjaeger.de> for LM983x parts.
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
conditions. See COPYING file for details.
check-usb-scanner build 8

Checking device 0x0000/0x0000 [] [USB UHCI Root Hub]
  IGNORED (root hub)
Checking device 0x05d8/0x4001 [] []
    checking for GT-6801 ...
    this is not a GT-6801 (bDeviceClass = 0)
    checking for GT-6816 ...
    this is not a GT-6816 (bDeviceClass = 0, bInterfaceClass = 0)
    checking for MA-1017 ...
    this is not a MA-1017 (bEndpointAddress = 0x1, bmAttributes = 0x2, wMaxPacketSize = 0x40, bInterval = 0x0)
    checking for MA-1015 ...
    this is not a MA-1015 (bDeviceClass = 0)
    checking for MA-1509 ...
    this is not a MA-1509 (bDeviceClass = 0)
    checking for LM983[1,2,3] ...
    this is not a LM983x (bDeviceClass = 0, bInterfaceClass = 0)
  UNKNOWN chipset type
Checking device 0x0c76/0x0003 [] []
  IGNORED (bDeviceClass = 0, no suitable interfaces found)