[sane-devel] freebsd usb

Brian K. White brian at aljex.com
Wed May 21 18:31:07 BST 2003

Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 08:43:15AM -0400, Brian K. White wrote:
>> after utterly _failing_ to figure out the government secret as to
>> what exactly is the correct syntax for device "libusb:..." in
>> plustek.conf (why can't this be documented somewhere?,
>> sane-find-scanner reported "libusb:/dev/usb0:/dev/ugen0" neither
>> that nor any of several pointless guesses caused scanimage -L to
>> work)
>
> The syntax of the "device file" is the one that libusb uses plus
> "libusb:" at the beginning. It's the one that's printed with
> sane-find-scanner. It's operating-system-dependant. For Linux and
> FreeBSD  there is some docu in man sane-usb.
>
> It shouldn't be ever necessary to specify libusb:a:b in a config file.
> That just doesn't make sense because a and b may vary depending on
> when you plug in your scanner and which other devices you have.
>
> libusb devices are autodetected. Well, they should be. I've no idea
> what went wrong in your case. If you want to debug that problem,
> set SANE_DEBUG_PLUSTEK=255 and SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB=255 and run
> scanimage -L. There should only be a [usb] line, no device line in
> plustek.conf.

OK i'll try that. that's an example of what's not documented :)
I'll actually have to comment out my kernel source changes and build a new
kernel to test this because now the built-in uscanner device finds the
scanner and sane-find-scanner no longer says libusb. But I'm willing to do
that to further the cause of clear and complete documentation.

>> Here's my question:
>> whenever I try to run scanimage or xscanimage, it takes a very long
>> time before the program actually does anything,
>
> Try to find out if that long time apsses in the plustek backend. Does
> it also happen if you comment out verything but "plustek" in
> dll.conf? If no, please try to find out which backend causes this
> problem. Setting SANE_DEBUG_DLL=255 may also help.

I'll try that. Thanks.

>> and in the mean time I get a lot of this:
>>
>> umass0: BBB reset failed, TIMEOUT
>> umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, TIMEOUT
>> umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, TIMEOUT
>> umass0: BBB reset failed, TIMEOUT
>> umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, TIMEOUT
>> umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, TIMEOUT
>
> That's the driver for USB mass storgae support?

yeah

> Do you still have a "device libusb:..." line in plustek.conf? Maybe that
line refers to
> on of your other usb devices.

in plustek.conf I commented out all but one device line and it now says
/dev/uscanner0 because that is what sane-find-scanner says since patching
my kernel.

> Another possibility would be that the
> autodetection of the USB devices triggers that timeout for some
> reason. A debug log with the above mentioned two variables set may
> show the source of the problem.

I'll try all this stuff tonight and report back.
Thanks a lot.

Brian K. White  --  brian at aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani