[sane-devel] Re: scanner flakiness in mandrake 9.x

Sergey Vlasov vsu at altlinux.ru
Fri May 30 16:10:29 BST 2003

On Fri, 30 May 2003 16:27:31 +0200
Henning Meier-Geinitz <henning at meier-geinitz.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 08:54:04AM +0200, Peter Kirchgessner wrote:
> > because it can be very dangerous to generally grant users access to
> > generic SCSI-devices, this step must be performed manually.
> > Unfortunately you only get a hint from sane-find-scanner about the
> > permissions when running it as non-root. Maybe someone can add an
> > additional hint when a SCSI-device was found.
>
> You mean a hint if run as root and the scanner was found? I'd find
> that quite confusing. ╖your scanner was found but if it is not found
> as normal user ..."? But maybe I misunderstood.

This could be useful for beginners. When a SCSI device is found, we
could stat() it and give a warning if it is accessible only to root.
Even more, if it is accessible to some group, we may print this group
name.

We could do the same thing for USB devices (at least when using the
kernel scanner driver - libusb will be more tricky).