[sane-devel] Digital ICE support

Nils Philippsen nils at tiptoe.de
Sun Nov 30 15:24:41 GMT 2003

Hi,

since some days I've been thinking about implementing routines to
utilize the infrared channel supplied by my Nikon LS-2000 scanner for
automatic defect correction. Is someone already working on this?

My ideas for a first shot on this are (with low IR values ("black")
being high defect probability values):

- Identify single defects (pixel clusters):
  - Count all pixels above a certain probability threshold automatically
    as defects
  - Group adjacent defect pixels into defect clusters
  - Add pixels adjacent to a cluster that are above a second (lower)
    defect probability threshold to the defect cluster
  - Join defect clusters that share pixels added in the previous step
- Repair defects by interpolation between "healthy" pixels. Obviously
this is the trickier part of it all.

Comments or ideas are welcome.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg
nils at tiptoe.de / nphilipp at redhat.com / nils at lisas.de
Ever noticed that common sense isn't really all that common?