[sane-devel] Minolta Dual II: Only 3-bit colour with XSane

Rene Rebe rene@exactcode.de
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:54:58 +0100

Hi,

Mart van de Wege wrote:

> I just got a Minolta Scan Dual II film scanner, as this is a fairly
> common device on the 2nd hand market and well supported under sane
> according to the supported devices list. It took a little work to set
> up (I forgot Debian doesn't do a lot of auto-configuring), but it works
> right now.
>
> I have however a minor problem with it using Xsane: I get a nice
> preview image, I can adjust colour and gamma values until I have a
> good representation of my original photo, and when I hit 'Scan', XSane
> proceeds to scan using only 1 bit per channel!
>
> I have tried every setting imaginable in XSane itself, but no matter
> what, I get 3-bit colour only. Weird thing is, doing a straight scan
> using scanimage gives me a negative image, which I can edit using the
> Gimp, during which it turns out to be full colour.
>
> Unfortunately, this is a labour-intensive process. I would love to
> have XSane just work(TM), as it is a lot easier to adjust colour in
> its preview mode. Anyone have any idea why it stubbornly remains in
> 3-bit mode?

You use the Avision backend, right?

Can you send me a full log of a scan (export SANE_DEBUG_AVISION=7 in the
terminal you start the scan application) and the associated image?

In privat of course (to not flood the list).

I wish all a happy new year - yours,

   Reneé

--
René Rebe - Rubensstr. 64 - 12157 Berlin (Europe / Germany)
             http://www.exactcode.de | http://www.exactcode.de/t2