[sane-devel] [CanoScan5000f] Analyse of logs

m. allan noah anoah@pfeiffer.edu
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 11:09:04 -0400 (EDT)

> > Ok but :
> > - There are more thant 3 blocks which seems to be image data: 2 for
> > calibration and 1 for the picture ?
> > What is the format of the sent picture ? RAW ? it might be possible to
> > find this no? To be able to determine what size if may have.
> > For exemple : 100dpi, 1cm2 is about 39x39 pixels : this represents 1511
> > pixels. 8bits per pixel ? 16 ? (don't know..) if  8 : 4968 hex codes,
> > true ?
> >
> The scanner may scan more than asked for, and the front end will use
> what it needs. 39x39 may scan as 40x40 or 64x64 or ..... It is also
> possible that 100dpi scans as 150dpi. OK not that likely but be prepared
> for it.

it is also possible that the scanner scans full-width of page, even when
you ask for less. the way to tell is to take two dumps at two different
widths, but leave all else the same.

> A colour scan is normally 24bits - 3 bytes per pixel. But again other
> values are possible.

i would recommend comparing logs of a color scan and a black and white. i
have seen really cheap scanner do all scans in jpeg color, and the lineart
mode was simulated in the driver.

allan