[sane-devel] Re: Error during device I/O

t takahashi gambarimasu+spamsucks@gmail.com
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:49:53 -0700

Julien BLACHE <jb@jblache.org> writes:
> SANE_DEBUG_HPOJ=255

Will do below, thanks.

> The message from the kernel log, if pertaining to the scanner,
> indicates a timeout while reading from the scanner. This usually

I used google to find other instances of the error, and I noticed that
other people had a "timeout" error before the usbdevfs error.  I did
not have the "timeout" error, just normal logs setting up the scanner.

> indicates the scanner is stuck after it received something that
> confused it, for whatever reason. It could also be a bug in the USB
> layer, you could try to upgrade your kernel if it's not current.

It worked a couple of months ago, and I didn't change the kernel or
anything else except for doing normal daily upgrades of Debian
(probably including usb, sane, and hpoj packages).  So the kernel
should work?  Maybe?  My 2.4.19ac4 kernel is old, but I am horribly
clueless about kernels.  I tried installing a stock Debian SMP kernel
and it didn't work.  I tried the menuconfig thing and the kernel
didn't boot either.  So apparently I'd need handholding for kernel
upgrades, or at least a really good tutorial that I know is up to date
and relevant (and doesn't talk about initrd as if I knew what it is
:-)).  In short, I am afraid of the kernel.  :-)

Thanks for replying.  I *really* appreciate it.

Here is the debugging output:

~# SANE_DEBUG_HPOJ=255 scanimage -v -y 279.4 --mode lineart
--resolution 300 --batch-scan=yes --batch=aaa--%02d--line300.pnm
Scanning -1 pages, incrementing by 1, numbering from 1
Scanning page 1
scanimage: scanning image of size 2544x3299 pixels at 1 bits/pixel
scanimage: acquiring gray frame
scanimage: read 1049082 bytes in total
Scanned page 1. (scanner status = 5)
Scanning page 2
scanimage: scanning image of size 2544x3299 pixels at 1 bits/pixel
scanimage: acquiring gray frame
scanimage: read 1049082 bytes in total
Scanned page 2. (scanner status = 5)
Scanning page 3
scanimage: sane_start: Error during device I/O
scanimage: read 0 bytes in total
Scanned page 3. (scanner status = 9)

As you can see, it did not produce any extra output.  What did I do wrong?