[sane-devel] I have the Epson Perfection 2480 and 2580 for testing

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter@gmx.net
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 23:42:47 +0200

Oliver Schwartz wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>http://www.linuxprinting.org/till/tmp/eps2480debug.log
>>http://www.linuxprinting.org/till/tmp/eps2580debug.log
>

>>[snapscan] sense_handler: Hardware error. (0x00, 0x04)
>

> according to my docs this means "scan module locked". You probably
> didn't remove the transportation lock. For Benq scanners it's a small
> switch on the bottom side of the scanner.
>
> /Oliver

Thanks, on the 2480 this was really the case. On the 2580 it was already
open.

Now I have tried to scan with the 2480 and I was even successful
sometimes. When it worked the problem was that there were long delays
until the scan to start (command line) or the GUI to appear (xsane).
There were console messages like

[snapscan] Scanner warming up - waiting 9 seconds.
[snapscan] Scanner warming up - waiting 33 seconds.
[snapscan] Scanner warming up - waiting 9 seconds.
[snapscan] Scanner warming up - waiting 33 seconds.

scanimage --test

worked with the long delays before actual scanning as described above.

SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN=255 scanimage > 1.pnm 2> eps2480_2debug.log

produced a correct output. 1.pnm was a scan of the full scanning area.
Again the long delays.

SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN=255 xsane > eps2480_3debug.log 2>&1 &

Successful run of xsane. Nothing than one pre-scan of the full scanning
area was done. In another run of xsane the GUI opened but pre-scanning
did not work, real scanning worked then and pre-scanning only bafter the
first real scan.

On all later attempts I got a segmentation fault when the GUI started to
open. The command line was the following:

SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN=255 xsane > eps2480_4debug.log 2>&1 &

Here are the URLs of the debug log files:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/till/tmp/eps2480_2debug.log
http://www.linuxprinting.org/till/tmp/eps2480_3debug.log
http://www.linuxprinting.org/till/tmp/eps2480_4debug.log

    Till