[sane-devel] Error initializing hp7400c.

Erik P. Olsen erik@epo.dk
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 00:06:37 +0200

On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 23:39 +0200, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 19:49 +0200, Rene Rebe wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> >
> > > I am running the avision backend version 1.0.15 on FC3 and have
> > > constantly problems initializing this scanner. Attached debug.log1 shows
> > > the situation when the scanner hasn't been in use for hours and
> > > therefore needs initializing and to eliminate other types of errors it
> > > is taken imediately after a reboot. Attached debug.log2 shows a correct
> > > scan taken shortly after the scan where it failed the initializing
> > > phase. So apparently the initializing *is* performed correctly but it
> > > fails going from initializing to scanning.
> >
> > Initialization problems after power saving mode are know for this
> > scanner. I would be happy if you could try to narrow the problem down.
> > E.g. by playing with what packet is sent to the scanner first.
>
> I would happily do that if I just knew how to.
>
> > Alternatively you could take a look with usbsnoop if the windows driver
> > does something to properly reset the scanner when it decided to enter
> > power-down mode ...
>
> I shall see what I can do. I don't have it running under Windows, only
> under OS/2, but if there is a usb-sniffer for OS/2 I'll try.

Oh, I forgot, the scanner is scsi attached, mainly because it won't work
with OS/2 and usb. I'll have to install it with the usb interface on a
Windows machine and then run the sniffer. It may take a while before I
have some data.

--
Regards,
Erik P. Olsen