[sane-devel] Canon LiDE 20 vertical lines

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri Aug 5 15:12:29 UTC 2005

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 10:10:04AM +0200, Udo Lütkemeier wrote:
> Hi Gerhard,
>
> On Fri, 05.08.2005 07:59 +0200, Gerhard Jaeger wrote:
> > these are the lines that should not appear :(
> > I've done some tests here with a LiDE30 and there were no lines, then I
> > connected the N670 (which should be the same device as the LiDE20) and
> > I see also these damned lines - I don't know currently where the problem
> > is - I have to do some more testing.
>
> I hope, you find the problem/error and can solve it in the next
> releases.
>
> Please let me and the LiDE20/N670 user know here, when the problem is
> located or solved.

I have a LiDE20 and was the person who originally 'completed' the
driver support.  Vertical lines are indeed a fine calibration problem
and after I fixed the original nonfunctional code, fine calibration
has been broken again several times.  Apparently it has been broken
yet again; I got tired of it breaking all the time and nailed my
package system to hold the installed version at 1.0.13, which I knew
to work properly.

Honestly, I don't have the time to fix this for the third time....  Is
there any kind of regression testing going on?  I know it's hard to
maintain a driver for diverse, low-end hardware families, OTOH, this
is getting a little ridiculous.  LiDE fine cal is broken more often
than it's working.  Having one driver trying to serve fifty different
models across a family of ten related chips is unworkable when changes
to any one model break ten others that can't even be tested because
the author doesn't own the hardware to do the testing.

I'll put up the last LiDE20 driver (which works: I'm still using it) I
contributed as soon as the machine it's on is on the Net again (just
moved to a new house, IT there is in disarray).

Monty