[sane-devel] Umax Astra 2200 under OpenBSD?

alancorey at yahoo.com alancorey at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 18 17:23:00 UTC 2005

> Your libusb is too old. 0.1.8 is minimum, 0.1.10a is
> current. I'll add
> that version number to the SANE README, which
> currently says 0.1.6.

This gets tiring.  I wish developers wouldn't count on
having the latest, greatest version of every library
they depend on.  OpenBSD 3.6 and 3.7 come with
libusb-0.1.7p2 in the ports collection.  I tried
downloading libusb-0.1.10a.tar.gz and building it, but
I got errors compiling.  OpenBSD-current has
libusb-0.1.10a in the ports so maybe in another few
months at the next release it'll be the standard
version.  I tried grabbing it anyway and building
under OpenBSD 3.6 (not recommended) and it also gave
(different) errors compiling.  With my luck by the
time OpenBSD supplies libusb-0.1.10a Sane will
probably want a newer version.

I just built sane-backends-1.0.14.tar.gz and installed
it, and I don't get the "libusb not available" when I
run sane-find-scanner -v.  I'll have to wait until I
get the laptop home to connect to my scanner and see
what happens.

Meanwhile I picked up an HP 3300C on eBay for $10
which I expect Monday.  The status of that is listed
as complete, and I expect to keep it here at work.

  Alan

--- Henning Meier-Geinitz <henning at meier-geinitz.de>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 07:16:29AM -0700,
> alancorey at yahoo.com wrote:
> > I did a little more fiddling with it last night.
> > bring the laptop to work with me so I have it
> here,
> > but the scanner stays home.  There were a couple
> > details I forgot to mention in my last posting
> because
> > of the delay in posting.
> >
> > > You may need to add the USB device to umax.conf
> > > manually.
> > I had done this, at least I thought I did.  I've
> now
> > commented out all the scsi stuff under "# linux
> device
> > identification:" and the rest of the file looks
> like
> > this:
> > -------
> > # Umax Astra 2200 via USB:
> > # usb vendor product
> > usb 0x1606 0x0230
> >
> > # scsi device list
> > #option connection-type 1
> > #/dev/scanner
> >
> > # usb device list
> > option connection-type 2
> > #/dev/uscanner0
> > /dev/ugen0
>
> Comment out the last line. If you used uscanner, you
> would have to add
> /dev/uscanner0 here. But with libusb, it's not
> neccesary (and wrong).
>
> > About all I can see as to why this would happen is
> > this in the configure output:
> > checking for usb_interrupt_read in -lusb... no
>
> Your libusb is too old. 0.1.8 is minimum, 0.1.10a is
> current. I'll add
> that version number to the SANE README, which
> currently says 0.1.6.
>
> > I just did a make patch in the
> /usr/ports/devel/libusb
> > directory so I could look at the sources, and in
> the

/usr/ports/devel/libusb/w-libusb-0.1.7p2/libusb-0.1.7