[sane-devel] Epson 2480 Transparency Unit - not for me [Reinald Kirchner]

Reinald Kirchner reinald.kirchner at qbcl.de
Sun Aug 21 17:56:26 UTC 2005

Hi everybody,
> I don't mean to be insulting, but did you remember to change
> snapscan.conf to point to the newer version of the firmware file?
no, I stumbeld over that, but realized it and fixed it. But it didn't help...

But I think it would be unfair to blame the software instead of admitting me
beeing too stupid. I simply misunderstood the scanner and never realized that
one has to take it apart for scanning slides...

I installed the Epson Scanner-Software on an old Windows Notebook, to see if
the transparency unit is working at all. No, it was not. The same "scanner
warming up" message. But instead of an endless loop it ran into some timeout
and started scanning, and popping up a hint to check the scanner.

Ok, I have to check why the transparency-unit in the lid does not work, maybe
its broken? So I removed the lid and started to take it apart. And found out,
that it was inteded to be taken apart! I assumed the white cover would be lit
from the back, and that was obviously wrong. Ok, give it a second try. Yes,
it works (under Win 2000).

Now plugged it back into my Linux workstation, and wow, I CAN SCAN SLIDES!!
Horray!

RTFM, even if you don't use all the Windows stuff at all - I never did that...

Oliver, you can close the entry in the bugtracker, and blame me for beeing to
stupid to use the hardware in the correct way...

Cheers,
Reinald