[sane-devel] Error message with scanimage -L

Bertrik Sikken bertrik at zonnet.nl
Tue Aug 23 16:47:35 UTC 2005

Luca wrote:
> Hi. I'm trying to use SANE to make my scanner work, but I'm getting this
> errors:
>
> cluca linux # scanimage -L
>
> No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
> check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
> sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
> which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
> cluca linux # scanimage -L
> scanimage: hp-option.c:3710: hp_optset_fix_geometry_options: Assertion `tl_x
> && tl_y && br_x && br_y' failed.
> Aborted

This is weird.
You should get the same response when running the scanimage -L command
twice. Perhaps the first time, hotplug had not updated the USB
permissions yet. What kernel are you running?

I don't know about the assertion. To me this looks like a bug
because scanimage -L should not have anything to do with tl_x
tl_y br_x and br_y (the scan area coordinates).

> Some months ago, I was successfull in setting up sane, but now I'm finding
> difficulties. The scanner is a HP PSC1317. scanimage version is:
>
> cluca linux # scanimage --version
> scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.15; backend version 1.0.15
>
> I saw that someone else is having the same error, and found to see the output
> of this command; I can't understand anything but it seems not good the second
> one:
>
> cluca linux # sane-find-scanner -q
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [hp], product=0x3f11 [psc 1310 series ]) at
> libusb:002:002
> cluca linux # ls -l /proc/bus/ubs/002/002
> ls: /proc/bus/ubs/002/002: No such file or directory

try /proc/bus/usb not /proc/bus/ubs

Bertrik