[sane-devel] RE: sp15c - 4 Bit gray generates 8 bit files

Mon Jul 4 17:26:22 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 03, 2005 at 10:05:42PM -0400, Gregory C. Johnson wrote:
> I understand the decision, but should SANE require a warning in these
> cases?  It's kind of counter-intuitive to expose a 4 bit option if it's
> just going to get coerced to 8 bit anyway.

Using lower bitdepth may still be faster than higher ones. So even if
the size of the resulting image file is the same, lower depth may be
useful if your scanner is faster with the lower depth.

> HMG- Apologies for the from-addresses, hopefully this will fix them.

Seems to work now.

> Does anyone know of a SCSI sniffer for W2k available for free/student
> prices?  a tcpdump equivalent would be ideal.

I haven't looked at the w2k SCSI architecture. In the win95 days I
used to use the ASPI wrapper dll but I don't know if ASPi is used
nowadays.

http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/misc/develop.html