[sane-devel] Help with USB scanner kernel config

thewade pdman@aproximation.org
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:36:44 -0700

Bertrik Sikken wrote:

> thewade wrote:
>
>> Bertrik Sikken wrote:

>>> Some time ago, sane used the scanner kernel module to communicate
>>> over USB with quite a lot of USB scanners. Nowadays, the scanner
>>> kernel module has been removed from the kernel and sane now uses
>>> libusb. Libusb in turn relies on the usbfs virtual file system
>>> in /proc/bus/usb.
>>

>> ls /proc/bus/usb lists as empty with the scanner on.
>>
>> /var/log/messages says:
>> Mar 15 13:14:40 musicbox kernel: usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
>>
>> lsusb -v doesnt seem to work, giving me nothing but:
>> Unknown line at line 4969
>> Where the number of the line changes, going up to 5004
>>
>> dmesg | grep usb tells me (among other things):
>> usbcore: registered new driver usbfs
>> usbcore: registered new driver hub
>> usbcore: registered new driver hiddev
>> usbcore: registered new driver usbhid
>> drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.0:USB HID core driver
>>
>> But on boot I remeber seeing usbdevfs not supported by kernel or
>> something. Could this be becasue the module isint loaded yet?
>

> Ah! I think usbdevfs has been renamed because it was easily
> confused with devfs. Its new name is usbfs. So try looking for
> any instances of usbdevfs in bootscripts or in /etc/fstab and
> replace it with usbfs.

That was it!
In /etc/rc.sysinit I changed:
mount -t usbdevfs usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb
to:
mount -t usbfs usbfs /proc/bus/usb
(Fedora Core 3 test 1, if you wnat to modify configure in backends
to check for this or something, or if someone else asks this question,
I dont know...)
Then ran sudo mount -t usbfs usbfs /proc/bus/usb, turned on the scanner,
and scanimage -L found it. sane-find-scanner told me to use scanimage -L
probibly because I ran it as user instead of root. How do I set
permissions for this scanner by the way?

Thank you so much for your help!
-thewade