[sane-devel] Need some help in a hurry ...

Sat, 28 May 2005 21:13:02 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 10:23:13PM -0300, Joe wrote:
> Well, now there is a group inside this company that is trying to force the
> adoption of Windows XP on all equipments.

A company gets the OS it deserves :-)

> - Almost one year ago, they bought a pack of scanners model AVISION DS310F
> to use as a pair of laser printer to make document copies, instead of
> copying machines, like Xerox. Well, know this group decided to use this
> scanner as a scanner, to documents and images to save in the servers (well,
> they already know that this scanner doesn't have Linux support yet). And
> they are trying to show this as a goal to force the migration to MS arrrrgh
> Windows OS.

They had to look quite carefully to find an MFD device that is not
supported by SANE or external backends, hadn't they? And buying
parport devices these days isn't a very wise decision anyway.

Usually a device that is supported by the currently used platform
should be selected. But I guess I'm telling that the wrong person.

> The question is:
> - Is there any driver that function with this parallel scanner ?   OR

At least according to our list that's not the case. But with parallel
port scanners you never know. You need more information, e.g. the
chipset it uses, and how the chipset works. Then you can compare it
with currently existing parallel port backends.

> - Is there any driver that we can use as the base to build a new one (we
> also need some docs to help)?

Docs concerning SANE are on the SANE website. See also the archive of
this list. You can use an existing backend as base only if the chipset
used is similar or identical to one already supported by SANE.

I don't want to frustrate you but writing a backend for a parport
scanner will most probably a long and complicated task at least if you
don't get programming documentation from the manufacturer.

Good luck!