[sane-devel] network scanning using OfficeJet

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Sun Feb 26 12:12:13 UTC 2006

Hi,

On 2006-02-23 20:23, Achraf El Kashef wrote:
> i have setup my OfficeJet g85 ok on the printing server(running debian)
> -----------------
> printer:~# scanimage -L
> device `hpoj:mlc:usb:OfficeJet_G85' is a Hewlett-Packard OfficeJet G85
> multi-function peripheral
> ------------------
>
> i can scan ok from the server...

Try to scan "over the locl net", i.e. using saned on the server
directly. Add "localhost" to "net.conf" on the server. "scanimage -L"
should show two devices now, the local scanner as above and the
scanner connected to the net similar to this:

device `hpoj:mlc:usb:OfficeJet_G85' is a Hewlett-Packard OfficeJet G85 multi-function peripheral
device `net:localhost:hpoj:mlc:usb:OfficeJet_G85' is a Hewlett-Packard OfficeJet G85 multi-function peripheral

If it doesn't show the second line, something is wrong with your saned
setup. Typical problems are that saned doesn't have access to your
scanner device. Checking if saned runs as goup "scanner" may help.

> what else shall i do?

Look at log files.

On the client:
SANE_DEBUG_NET=255 scanimage -L

On the server, look at saned messages in syslog.