[sane-devel] sane SCSI 32bit emulation on 64bit

Dieter Jurzitza dieter.jurzitza at t-online.de
Sun Jan 8 22:32:16 UTC 2006

Hi Mr. Kuhlmann,
I was the one to bring up the issue with the SPARC workaround, the sane folks
helped me a lot to do the testing and find out that using the "old" interface
made everything work.

And, as a matter of fact, everything on SPARC64 is compiled 32 bit in the user
world. Only the kernel is 64Bit. Therefore you might want try to compile sane
32 bit using the old interface - this works on SPARC64, so it might work on
other 64Bit platforms, too.

On SPARC64 there is an autodetection for this, but as it has been suggested by
Mr. Deuring - you could enable it "hard" by default.

The only thing I cannot tell - well, on SPARC64 you have to say sparc32 make
to compile 32Bit - I do not know how to achieve this on 64Bit X86
architecture.
Good luck,

take care

Dieter Jurzitza

Am Sonntag, 8. Januar 2006 21:54 schrieb Volker Kuhlmann:
> > > Most annoying that it doesn't work with SCSI scanners on 64bit
> > > machines, something a recompile would fix. Hence my recent question
> > > about write() encapsulation in sanei_scsi.c (which no-one replied to :(
> > > ).
> >
> > If somebody else needs such a special handling because of the
> > binary-only nature of his software, it's up to him to fix the problems
> > caused by this.
>
> I feared such an attitude would prevail. Here is the situation:

******

                                \

if you really want to see the pictures above - use some font
with constant spacing like courier! :-)