[sane-devel] new epson backend

Alessandro Zummo azummo-lists at towertech.it
Mon Jan 23 23:45:39 UTC 2006

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 08:24:23 +0900
Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp> wrote:

> Hmm, I'm not really in favour of a new name if the protocol is just a
> thin wrapper around ESC/I (which is what the epson and epkowa backends
> support).  In that case it may be better (as in less confusing to end-
> users) to integrate it with the existing backend(s).

> But if you do insist, I'd suggest epson-net.  Oops, that should be an
> underscore for reasons in sanei and friends -> epson_net.

 the driver actually supports usb, scsi, pio and network. I don't want'
 to integrate because we know the current backend works pretty well, while
 my reshuffling has probably introduced compatibility problems on scanners
 I'm not able to test it with.

 The tcp part, as suggested, has been called sanei_tcp .

 I would call the backend epson2. ;)

> >   I would also like to integrate support for the Epson FilmScan 200,
> >  as the driver suggested on sane-project.org is quite old.
>
> Cool, but what protocol does that speak?  The same as the CX11NF, I'd
> presume but thought I'd better ask anyway.

 Yes, ESC/I. but my aic7xxx keeps crashing :(

--

 Best regards,

 Alessandro Zummo,
  Tower Technologies - Turin, Italy