[sane-devel] Fedora Core 4/SANE/HP 1510

Don Bossung donald at bossung.net
Thu Mar 23 14:32:08 UTC 2006

Hello List,

I have the following installed

Fedora Core 4

hplip-0.9.8-3.2

libsane-hpaio-0.9.8-3.2

sane-backends-1.0.17-0.fc4.1

xsane-0.95-3

HP PSC1510

The  scanner works fine on the Fedora box.

Networking is my problem. I am using SaneTwain on a windows box and have
followed the man pages for saned to setup networking.

I have created a user named saned with a group saned

Saned.conf holds the IP address of the windows client.

Dll.conf holds hpaio and net

I have added:

sane-port       6566/tcp                # SANE network scanner daemon

to /etc/services

I have created the file sane-port in /etc/xinetd.d holding

service sane-port

{

     port        = 6566

     socket_type = stream

     wait        = no

     user        = saned

     group       = saned

     server      = /usr/sbin/saned

}

When I start SaneTwain and setup the host (by ip address not name) I get a
'Error establishing connection to host' message.

To help troubleshoot this I started saned with debugging on the server using

            SANE_DEBUG_HPAIO=128 saned -d128

To my surprise, SaneTwain on the windows client found the scanner and it
works fine. When I kill the debug on the server, the problem starts again.
So, it appears that I am not getting saned to work as a daemon properly????

Any help would be appreciated

Doin