[sane-devel] Problem with usb detection - fujitsu fi-5110-eox2

Roberto C Serrano roberto at dowit.net
Sat Jan 6 22:17:29 CET 2007

Dear all,

I downloaded a cvs copy of both backend and frontend, compiled it from
scratch and install everything.  It took me a while but I was able to
get everything running.

Now, my problem is that xsane does not automatically detect my scanner,
and I'm forced to provide the device parameter all the time.  I would
like to fix this so it automatically detects the scanner.  How can I go
about doing this?  I search all over  (ubuntuforums, google, sane list,
etc)  and I cannot find a good reference that will get this solved.

sane-find-scanner outputs the following line:
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04c5, product=0x1096) at libusb:001:006

which I use to get xsane started with  xsane fujitsu:libusb:001:006

My lsusb shows: Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:c50a Logitech, Inc.

For the fujitsu.conf I have  the line containing the usblib thing:
 usb 0x04c5 0x1096

And as for the dll.conf I only have fujitsu and net  (everything else is commented out).

I also added the following new line to /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules

SYSFS{idVendor}=="04c5", SYSFS{idProduct}=="1096", SYMLINK="scanner", MODE="664", GROUP="scanner"

My user is a member of the scanner group, and even if I tried as root, unless I provide the driver
I always get the message of device not found.

My suspicion is that the front end does not know that it is suppose to use the fujitsu backend,
but beyond what I have done I don't know what else to do. That is why I'm turning to you to see
if I can get some further instructions.

Thank you very much!

Roberto "ohrock" Serrano