[sane-devel] Please correct documentation!

Felix E. Klee felix.klee at inka.de
Sun Jan 7 12:52:49 CET 2007

At Sun, 07 Jan 2007 12:05:57 +0100,
Julien BLACHE wrote:
> > What a pity that Sane doesn't play nicely with udev, at least on my
> > machine.
>
> libusb uses either /proc/bus/usb/xxx/yyy or /dev/bus/usb/xxx/yyy on
> modern 2.6 kernels.

Well, here it uses /proc/bus/usb/xxx/yyy as /dev/bus/usb/xxx/yyy doesn't
exist.  But even if I mount /dev/bus/usb, then it doesn't work.  The
problem is that the udev rules provided with sane-backends-1.0.18 don't
touch files in either directory structure.  When I plug in the scanner,
then one of "/dev/usbdev*" is modified by the udev rules.

> The fact that your distribution ships an outdated libusb

I've libusb 0.1.12 installed, just as recommended in Sane's
README.linux.

> or broken udev rules

I've taken the udev rules included with sane-backends-1.0.18, again just
as recommended in README.linux.

PS: My apologies, if my comments were perceived as unfair, which they
may well be.  I'm somewhat frustrated that the udev related instructions
in README.linux don't work for me.  Who/what is to blame is still
unclear.

--
Felix E. Klee