[sane-devel] sane-epkowa backend for EPSON V500

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Mon Apr 21 07:03:29 UTC 2008

nbi at wideopenwest.com writes:

> Sorry, false alarm. It does work. Something seems to have gotten fouled
> up in the initial installation. I completely uninstalled sane and the
> Epson software. I then reinstalled sane 18 via a .deb package and did
> likewise for the Epson RPMs after converting to .deb packages.
> Previously I built both from source (everything built cleanly, but
> evidently didn't install right). Seems to work ok now.

That's good to hear!

Please note that if you install from source you will need to do a
bunch of things that the RPM takes care of in its %post-install
section.  This includes adding devices to your udev configuration
and making sure that the epkowa backend gets enabled.

When converting the RPM to .deb with "alien" you can use the --scripts
option to make sure that the RPM %post-install (and other scripts) are
included.  That way, the converted .deb will, should really, take care
of these things too.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                   FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS Corporation
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/