[sane-devel] sane_get_devices and sanei_usb_init

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 23:59:07 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 6:38 PM, Olaf Meeuwissen
<olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp> wrote:
> "m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> writes:

>>> Exactly how it works now.

> Calling sane_init() only once is not a SANE standard requirement.  If
> it were, what's the point of sane_exit().
>
> BTW, from the spec of sane_exit():
>
>  [...] After this function returns, no function other than
>  sane_init() may be called [...]

but after you exit, there is no expectation that previously opened
devices will work, so the sane_init that follows it is fine.

>>> This don't says calling sane_get_devices will or should break any
>>> already opened device.
>>
>> That is strongly implied. Why else would it bother to guarantee only
>> half of the cycle?
>
> I don't see why, unless the name member explicitly contains the index
> used by sanei_usb.  On, at least, GNU/Linux that is not the case.  If
> it does anywhere else, I'd consider that a bug.
>
> If sane_get_devices() is allowed to break already opened devices, that
> should be explicitly mentioned in the spec.

it is implied, otherwise it would say that the list was guaranteed
never to change. instead, it says that the list will be ruined if you
call sane_get_devices again. and, since the response to that function
provides the name you use in sane_open, it is implied that sane_open
should be called again too.

>>> In backend I'm writing I call sanei_usb_init multiple times (in each
>>> sane_get_devices) only if I don't have opened devices. I think that's ok.
>>
>> Unfortunately, that is not enough. if a person has another brand of
>> scanner on their machine, alongside yours, and they open the other
>> scanner and then call sane_get_devices(), your backend won't know.
>> Then you will blast the list with the other backend's open device in
>> it.
>
> Eh, wait.  Aren't backends supposed to link statically with libsanei?
> If they do, do they still share sanei_usb.c's
>
>  static device_list_type devices[MAX_DEVICES];
>
> # It still before my first coffee so I can't quite think this one
> # through yet.

ahh, yes, you are right. makes MAX_DEVICES = 100 look sort of overkill :)

let me see if i can hammer stef's patch into doing proper removal.

allan