[sane-devel] scanmaker 4800 still trying...is this the right place to ask for help?

Richard C. Rath debian at way.net
Tue Feb 5 01:39:42 UTC 2008

Hi,

I am new on this list and new to debian and SANE.  I have done the best I can to try and troubleshoot this scanner myself, but have not succeeded.  I think the problem is with SANE, but I am not sure this is the appropriate place to ask for help.  If it is not, please let me know if there is someplace I can ask for help with this.

That said, here is the problem I am having:

I am trying to get SANE to work with microtek scanmaker 4800.  It opens the front end, whether xscanimage or xsane, but freezes upon trying to scan.  Because it fails in both front ends, I am assuming the problem is either with the back end or communication with it.

I read sane-problems-doc.html and followed the instructions as best I could.

Here is what I've tried so far:

uninstalled sane, xsane, and libsane, reinstalled.

I did this because I installed the driver for scanmaker 4800 myself rather than through the package installer, so I guessed that uninstalling and reinstalling would write the correct files.  I found out later that the driver, sm3840, is included in the distribution for sane or xsane so I did not need to install it seperately.  Perhaps I need to do more to uninstall the file I installed, but I don't know if that is the case or how to tell.

then I commented out all other scanners and net in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf.  The troubleshooting instructions say it should be in /usr/etc/sane.d/dll.conf, but I am assuming the different location is from how the debian package installer installs it.

made sure only one version is installed

removed config directories from home dir

searched for g*-config...found neither gtk-config nor gimp-config

ran gdb scanimage with following result:
Starting program: /usr/bin/xscanimage
Failed to read a valid object file image from memory.
(no debugging symbols found)
..."
(no debugging symbols found)
..."
[New Thread -1219606848 (LWP 7249)]
(no debugging symbols found)
..."

(..." indicates prior line repeating many times)

front end opens, finds scanner sm3840, but freezes when I hit scan or preview, and I have to force a quit.

gdb still does not return, so hit ctrl-C, which returned to gdb prompt after giving message:

Program received signal SIGTSTP, Stopped (user).
[Switching to Thread -1219606848 (LWP 7249)]
0xb7f84410 in ?? ()

backtrace then gave the following results:

(gdb) backtrace
#0  0xb7f84410 in ?? ()
#1  0xbffd8068 in ?? ()
#2  0xbffd804c in ?? ()
#3  0xc0105500 in ?? ()
#4  0xb76ae789 in ioctl () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
#5  0xb77b0204 in usb_control_msg () from /lib/libusb-0.1.so.4
#6  0xb74a610f in sanei_usb_control_msg ()
   from /usr/lib/sane/libsane-sm3840.so.1
#7  0xb749a843 in sane_sm3840_get_parameters ()
   from /usr/lib/sane/libsane-sm3840.so.1
#8  0xb749a8ce in sane_sm3840_get_parameters ()
   from /usr/lib/sane/libsane-sm3840.so.1
#9  0xb749ac8e in sane_sm3840_get_parameters ()
   from /usr/lib/sane/libsane-sm3840.so.1
#10 0xb749d932 in sane_sm3840_start () from /usr/lib/sane/libsane-sm3840.so.1
#11 0xb77b6a8f in sane_dll_start () from /usr/lib/libsane.so.1
#12 0xb77b87bd in sane_start () from /usr/lib/libsane.so.1
#13 0x0804f6f4 in ?? ()
#14 0x080cdda0 in ?? ()
#15 0x00000002 in ?? ()
#16 0x00000000 in ?? ()

had to kill process before exiting gdb

If you need more info, let me know!  I would really like to get this thing working.
--Thanks for your help
~Rich Rath