[sane-devel] SANE 1.1.0 Release discussion

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue May 6 09:06:21 UTC 2008

This is a much better solution than coming with a completely new SANE2
API. At the Linux Foundation Summit in April we have decided on taking
the SANE1 API into LSB 4.0, so that scanner manufacturers can make
distribution-independent LSB-based scanner driver packages.

Standardizing on the driver structure, like option names and groups,
debug modes, ... is also a great improvement step without need of API
changes. Please post specs soon, so that I can add them to the driver
design guidelines

https://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/WritingAndPackagingPrinterDrivers

(perhaps the Wiki page needs to be renamed sooner or later, as with the
LSB DDK I am also addressing scanner drivers).

Also the planned release schedule is great, as this way SANE 1.1.0 will
make it into the fall editions of the major Linux distributions (Ubuntu
Intrepid, Fedora 10, ...).

    Till