[sane-devel] HP LaserJet CM1312nfi CC431A printer/scanner/fax

kilgota at banach.math.auburn.edu kilgota at banach.math.auburn.edu
Fri Nov 21 05:06:09 UTC 2008

My wife's oldest son just sent me the following note:

"I bought an HP LaserJet CM1312nfi CC431A which is a
network printer / scanner (and copier / fax). Printing works perfectly via
the network interface using some generic HP driver which CUPS already had.
For the scanning I was looking at SANE www.sane-project.org , which
appears
to be the primary open source scanner software.

"The sane-find-scanner program does find the device when I connect it via
USB, but scanimage --list-devices does not. It's not on their supported
list, but I'm thinking (guessing) the scanner can't be all that different
from all the other scanners out there... or at least from the other HPs.
Any ideas on how to get it working ? BTW I have very little knowledge of
USB devices under Linux other than simply mounting drives, so I haven't
really tried anything yet )

"(I mainly bought the thing for the printing / copying / fax, so this is
in
part academic; but it would be nice to have it all work in Linux, plus I
figured this might be right up your alley...)"

So I wonder if anyone knows anything about this particular gadget. If we
need to learn more about it, then he does not live very close to us, but
he does run Linux at home and would probably be willing to participate to
some extent in figuring out what to do. Naturally, I told him that a first
good step is the output of lsusb or /proc/bus/usb/devices (if available)
or, preferably, both. I have not yet gotten anything back from him about
that.

Just curious. Do we get better cooperation out of HP these days than we
used to?

Theodore Kilgore