[sane-devel] Patch to make XSane work with SANE 1.1

René Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Mon Oct 13 15:45:04 UTC 2008

Hi,

Julien BLACHE wrote:
> stef <stef.dev at free.fr> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

>> 	frontends will have to be changed to benefit from the improvements in the new SANE
>> version. These changes are small, and the sane-frontends package give a sample
>> implementation. Frontend developers will find help here if they need.
>>

> The problem is binary-level backward compatibility, not source-level
> backward compatibility.
>
> The issue is that upgrading SANE should not break frontends
> silently. I'm pretty sure the sane_start() change will break not only
> multi-page scans but also automated scripts.
>
> There's also the possibility to use a 1.1 backend with a 1.0
> libsane, aka using a 1.1 backend with a 1.0 libsane-dll. That's
> another variation on that same theme.

The light status will not break a frontend, just make it respond quickly
with an condition. Actually I find a pop-up dialog in a UI program telling
me "light warming up" more useful than a program that hangs for 30 seconds
and does not even refresh the UI in this period of time. The user can
then still
make further changes to e.g. the scan settings and just re-click scan
later. And
a spinning progress indicator really is not too much of a deal for further
improvement.

Binary incompatible and breaking would be silently data corruption or
no longer starting due to missing symbols etc.

I strongly vote to have the light status in SANE 1.1.

  Managing Directors: Susanne Klaus, René Rebe
  Location: Berlin, Amtsgericht Charlottenburg HRB 105 123 B
  Tax-ID#: DE251602478