[sane-devel] Mustek ScanExpress A3 USB 1200 PRO

Jay Anderson horndude77 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 03:53:39 UTC 2008

I'm trying to get this scanner to work. I'm on Ubuntu 8.04.

> lsusb
Bus 003 Device 005: ID 055f:040b Mustek Systems, Inc.
> sane-find-scanner -q
found USB scanner (vendor=0x055f [Hewlett-Packard.        ], product=0x040b
[USB2.0 Scanner            ], chip=SQ113) at libusb:003:005

In my searching I found http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/mustek_usb2-backend/.

I found another thread
(http://www.nabble.com/Mustek-ScanExpress-A3-600-USB-Pro-td14698028.html) which
suggested trying the latest backend snapshot
(http://www.sane-project.org/snapshots/) and changing the ProductID and VendorID
to match what this scanner has. I've done that rebuilt and installed (make &&
make install).

After this xsane comes up and can communicate with the scanner. When I preview
the image it comes back with garbage -- multi-colored vertical stripes (when I
scanned an image it also came back with garbage). So it is similar enough to
control the scanner it seems.

Has anyone else had any luck with this scanner?

I'm willing (though I'm not sure how able I am) to spend some time digging
around in the code to figure it out a bit more. I don't really know where to
start so any pointers here would be useful. Thanks.

-----Jay