[sane-devel] improve HP scanner support information

David Fourer dfourer at comcast.net
Thu Sep 17 18:53:57 UTC 2009

Now that my HP scanner is working smoothly, I hope to get some
information added to sane-project.org pages.  Specifically,
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html

HPLIP (hplipopensource.com) has scanner support for all HP
multi-function scanner/printers such as HP Deskjet, HP Photosmart, and
HP Laserjet.  SANE has little support.
SANE has support for HP Scanjet and all single-function scanners.  HPLIP
does not.

There seems to be a division of labor here.
HPLIP and SANE  drivers integrate into Ubuntu and Xsane.  They are both
installed by default in Ubuntu--but I didn't know about the HPLIP
drivers.  I needed to go to the HPLIP site because I had a new
printer/scanner, and needed the newest driver download.

I notice that HPLIP has a link to SANE for single-function scanners.
Can we get a link added to the SANE web site?

David