[sane-devel] Backend for plustek Opticbook 3600

Chris Berry s0457957 at sms.ed.ac.uk
Fri Jan 15 13:19:15 UTC 2010

Hi Stef, in the course of trying to get the lamp working I was playing
with the settings and after I removed my changes the lamp functions as i
expected too so that issue is resolved.

If my understanding is correct the code should select whether to set cis
or not based on the variable in genesys_driver.c. As it is currently
hard coded I will try and put an if statement in to select based on the
/* Is this a CIS scanner? */ sane boolean.

I am still not getting any picture data, after observing some of the
front end logs I see that the windows driver only writes to *FRONT END*
addresses 0x00 - 0x07, but the genesys driver is writing to 0x00 - 0x09
and many others (0x20, 0x24 etc...). I am guessing this is very bad for
the recovery of data from the DAC.

I will attach a new genesys log and a windows sniff to the project
website today and maybe some pictures.

As usual any pointers are greatly appreciated

Thanks

Chris

On 01/15/2010 01:10 PM, stef wrote:
> Le jeudi 14 janvier 2010 17:47:41 Chris Berry, vous avez écrit :
>
>> Ok quick update, I have managed to get the lamp on during scans! The
>> reason it was failing is because reg[0x01] was hard coded to CIS type
>> and this is a CCD scanner. Hopefully this means that all I have to do is
>> polish up the remaining register values at init time.
>>
>> Currently the light is on when the scan head moves down but turns itself
>> off immediately before it comes back, is this normal behaviour for the
>> genesys driver?
>>
>> Chris
>>

> 	Hello,
>
> 	nice job. Do you get any picture data ?
> 	I don't think that the genesys backend switch off lamp after you scan on
> purpose. The planned behaviour is to switch off CCD only when the defined
> waiting time has elapsed. Maybe what you are seeing is the power saving
> function kicking in and switching off light by modifying GPIOs (see
> gl841_save_power function in genesys_gl841.c).
> 	While this doesn't hurt for CIS scanners, CCD may have to warm up each time
> they light on. So this behaviour might not be desirable.
>
> Regards,
> 	Stef

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.