[sane-devel] Ubuntu 10.4 32 & 64 bit Platform - Canon MF6550 Scanner - sane via any frontend "Hangs" at 1st data transfer

Ron Parker mail at ronparker.us
Fri Jul 2 14:54:28 UTC 2010

(Attachment Suppressed)

Success so far.

The commands below are what I abstracted from the web page you referred
me to. After building and loading the latest back-end library, a command
line scan produced the log file that you requested. (Attached).

Additional scans with gscan2pdf, simplescan, and xsane all produced
acceptable one page results. I cranked up the resolution to 300 dpi for
one page, and there was no mis-behavior. My final test in this set was a
multipage (via gscan2pdf) 150 dpi from the sheet feeder.The resultant
PDF looked good.

re: maintaining this configuration. Will ubuntu offer me an update to
the backend library via the package mechanism? Or, have I detached this
library from ubuntu package management by building a custom and later
release of the library?

Any other tests that you would like me to run? (How do I kill the env
variable created by EXPORT?)

Ron

#http://mp610.blogspot.com/2008/04/give-your-scanner-new-freshly-sane.html
cd /usr/src
git clone git://git.debian.org/sane/sane-backends.git
cd sane-backends

#If you want later to update your git directory with the latest version
#available from the public Sane git repository, in order to build the
latest #Sane code, you just need to enter the following command, from
the sane-#backends directory:
# #$ git pull
# make sure usb dev lib is installed

apt-get install libusb-dev

#This will download the latest changes to the files in your directory
sane-backends.

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var

#This will choose /usr/lib/sane as SANE lib directory, /etc/sane.d as
SANE #config files dir, and /var/lock/sane as state directory: The ones
that are #used by Mandriva and Ubuntu.

make
make install

echo '# libusb device nodes : change permissions to 666'
>/etc/udev/rules.d/mylibsane.rules echo 'SUBSYSTEM=="usb",
ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", MODE="0666"'
>>/etc/udev/rules.d/mylibsane.rules

scanimage -V
# Shows version . Should be GTEQ 1.0.21
# Actual value in this test was 1.0.22 (1Jul2010)

scanimage -L
# Shows Scanner
# pixma_find_scanners() found 1 devices
# device `pixma:04A92686_1665JDVj0000' is a CANON Canon imageClass
MF6500 multi-function peripheral