[sane-devel] Canoscan 8800F]

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Tue May 18 01:25:51 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Kurt Rosenfeld
<hardware at ee.ccny.cuny.edu> wrote:
> Gernot,
>
> This is the stderr output of scanimage with DEBUG_SANE,
> DEBUG_SANE_SANEI_USB, and SANE_DEBUG_DLL all set to 255:
> http://acm.poly.edu/~kurt/scanimage_all255.txt
>
> Here is the stderr output of scanimage -d test
> with SANE_DEBUG_TEST set to 255:
> http://acm.poly.edu/~kurt/scanimage_-d_test.txt
>
> thanks, -kurt
>
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 01:09:23AM +0900, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
>> Hello Kurt,
>>
>> I am concerned about this part of the log file:
>>
>> [pixma] pixma_open(): Canoscan 8800F
>> [pixma] WARNING:pixma_write(): count(0) != len(16)
>> [pixma] OUT  T=3.054 len=-1
>> [pixma]  00000000:ef 20 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
>> [pixma]   ERROR: EIO
>>
>> It looks as though the scanner is not responding even at the start of
>> the operation. Maybe you can try setting more debug options to 255:

Hi, looks like exactly the same. I thought we would see the raw USB
operations now but apparently not: what I wanted to see was the USB
attachment and configuration URBs. Since no I/O is possible at all,
maybe the attachment or configuration is not going well.

Q to the list: Are there any other DEBUG variables that can be set to
see this kind of information?

Otherwise, I recommend doing a USB snoop on a Windows machine (which I
understand you do not have available) so I can try to see what if any
differences there are to my scanner. No-one else has reported trouble
using the 8800F, but I have no idea if Canon made different variations
that require some tuning of the communication protocol.

Regards,
Gernot