[sane-devel] pros and cons regarding --enable-pthread for Linux

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Wed Sep 1 10:30:49 UTC 2010

Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de> wrote:

Hi,

>> sane-backends in Debian has been using pthread since Feb 2009.
>
> I assume there have been no issues because of this
> (otherwise you would have told us).

Nope, no issues so far.

> Now I think about --enable-pthread for the next openSUSE version
> and if there are bug reports because of this I could switch back
> to the default.

Threads are actually better from a "least surprise" PoV; big
applications are already threaded so it's not an issue for them, small
applications aren't threaded so it's usually not a problem here either.

fork()ing, on the other hand, can have quite some side-effects.

> I wonder why there is no reply from sane-backends package maintainers
> of other Linux distributions - perhaps everybody on summer vacation?

Simply put, because SuSE and Debian are the only distributions that
actually care about SANE.

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>