[sane-devel] any sniff volunteers unsupported Canon scanners: 4200F, 5200F, 9900F, 9950F

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 03:18:02 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 3:02 AM, Rob Hills <rhills at medimorphosis.com.au>wrote:

>  Hi Gernot,
>
>  --- On Sat, 3/20/10, Gernot Hassenpflug <aikishugyo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > I've been looking at the list of unsupported Canon scanners,
> concentrating on the CanoScan and LiDE series. Seems the
> > LiDE series all uses Genesys Logic chips and/or Philips CP2155BE
> front-end. But some of the CanonScan series are still
> > apparently unknown, and it would be fantastci if one or more of those
> used an existing protocol.
> >
> > Is there anyone who would be able to sniff a Windows USB log of the
> following scanners:
> >
> > * CanoScan 4200F
> > * CanoScan 5200F
> > * CanoScan 9900F
> > * CanoScan 9950F
> >
> > Alternatively, opening up the scanner and listing all the chip
> information :-) But a sniff will be enough to get quite
> > a bit of information.
> >
> > I see there appears to be a driver on Sourceforge, but I have no
> knowledge of what it can do:
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/cs5200drv/
>
>  You posted this nearly a year ago, are you still working on it?  I have
> CanoScan 9950F and I can do a sniff for you if you still want one.

Hi Rob,
No, sorry, I am not involved in this anymore, I was trying to find devices
that use a known pixma protocol, but that is not the case for the above
scanners. You'll need to check the mailing list archives for separate
threads on these scanners, if there are any, or start your own with USB
sniffing. Genesys backend development is very lively, so if your scanner has
such a chip, it is likely you will be roped in to help with support pretty
quickly.
Best regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug