[sane-devel] Reflecta ProScan 7200

Michael Rickmann mrickma at gwdg.de
Wed Mar 30 16:51:13 UTC 2011

Am 07.02.2011 14:19, schrieb m. allan noah:
> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 6:37 AM, Michael Rickmann<mrickma at gwdg.de>  wrote:
>> I got a Reflecta USB film scanner to digitize my collection of old slides
>> and negatives.
> <snip>
>
> Some random thoughts:
>
> 1. SCSI over USB is a fairly common way for makers to upgrade their products.
> 2. Makers tend not to change protocols unless they absolutely must.
> 3. Improving and existing backend generally preferred over writing new ones...
> 4. ... unless the existing code is ugly or broken.
>
> So, I would first attempt to modify the PIE backend to know about USB
> scanners. You might be able to copy some of the gl6xx code. I actually
> prefer working with SCSI-based machines, they are the easiest.
>
> You will find SANE's support for infrared is quite lacking, however...
>
> allan
Thank you allan. Your thoughts seem to be rather precise. In the
meantime I have tought the PIE backend a bit of USB - just enough to
satisfy "scanimage -L" - and something happens. I added the scanner to
the PIE configuration files. In addition to USB initialization, I
USB-wrapped the SCSI commands READ, WRITE and INQUIRY. That was enough
to have the backend identify the scanner, get halfones and calibration
info. Under Windows the INQUIRY is done with different sizes and I have
not spotted getting halfones or calibration in the Windows logs which I
have. Nevertheless the scanner responds. The variable index field of the
URBS which we see in the Windows snoops does not seem to have any deeper
meaning. In my trials I set it zero. So there is hope.
If anybody is here who still knows the PIE backend, could you please
have a look at
http://wwwuser.gwdg.de/~mrickma/sane-proscan-7200/status-110330/output
and check whether the values which the backend assumes are probable. The
other files in that directory are just for documentation or for somebody
to take over when I slow down or give up.
@Jan Vleeshouwers
I got a private mail, and I think it was from you. When I wanted to
answer I could not find it again, my apologies. I read your account on
the logs which you have done. There is a lot of information. I guess it
will take a while until we can reproduce that with SANE.
Regards
Michael