[sane-devel] Brother DS-600 has a new chip & new HW ID not supported by genesys backend

Alex Howland alex.howland at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 02:10:59 UTC 2012

Hi guys,

Been trying to get a Brother DS-600 working for the better part of today,
because unlike the DS-600 supported by SANE, I was getting a device ID of
0x204e (instead of sane's documented 0x2038). The DS-600 was formerly
Pentax, which is what a lot of the documentation states even though the
second designation 0x047f9 / 0x2038 is a Brother (they bought Pentax).
Anyway, turns out Brother has updated the chipset to a GL125 from the
previous GL841 so current versions of this scanner are not supported. At
least as of .23, I haven't checked git.

Brother DSmobile 600 (model: DS-600), usb ids 0x04f9 / 0x204e
Shows up as chipset GL848+, but I checked the board inside and it's
definitely GL125.

I poked my nose into genesys_devices.c and forced genesys settings for
GL841 (the old one for DS-600) and GL847 (used recently in Canons) but was
met only with an I/O error on both occasions, so I am assuming this is a
chip that actually needs to be implemented separately and doesn't use the
same api.

I guess I just thought someone should know.

Please let me know if I can help, or if there's another chip similar to the
GL125 I can try to force (maybe GL124?)