[sane-devel] SANE for Epson scanner is not working

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Sun Nov 18 23:54:36 UTC 2012

Mark Deiss writes:

> Hi developers,
>
> I have Ubuntu LTS 12.04.1 LTS / 32 bit and also a Epson Perfection V10
> flatbed scanner.  I can't get it working and hope that it is just a
> matter of configuration. I do all what is needed to avoid that I have
> to use a Windows machine just to have the scanner working.  I will
> post you all information I have and hope you can figure you why it is
> not working.
>
> Download
> driver of http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/scan/DL2.do

That page no longer exists.  Please download Image Scan! for Linux
packages via

  http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/?OSC=LX

Have a look at the FAQ for which packages you need to install at

  http://download.ebz.epson.net/faq/linux/faq_ls_00002.html

> 2 packages:
> install first: iscan-data_1.13.0-1_all.deb
> than: iscan_2.28.1-3.ltdl7_i386.deb

These packages are old and miss the non-free plugin needed for the V10.
You need the following Debian packages for your architecture

  iscan_2.29.1-5
  iscan-data_1.19.0-1
  iscan-plugin-gt-s600_2.1.2-1

> /etc/sane.d/dll.conf has line "epson2" active
> /etc/sane.d/epson2.conf

The epson2 backend (in its default setup) is known to cause long delays
in device recognition and occasionally prevent the epkowa backend from
doing its job.  Try disabling it.

> enabled line: usb 0x04b8 0x012d

This should not be necessary.

> On command line> Scanimage -L
> is hanging. No response at all. Time out after ca. 1 minute.
>
> After pulling the USB cable or time out the response is:
> device `epkowa:usb:001:004' is a Epson (unknown model) flatbed scanner
>
> under root the same.
>
> Add line "epkowa" to file dll.conf before the line "epson2".
> In epkowa.conf line "usb" is enabled and "usb 0x04b8 0x012d"

When you install iscan from binary packages it automatically enables
itself.  When you install the plugin package, it automatically adds
itself to the list of supported devices.  There is *no* needs to do
anything but install the required packages.  Things should work out of
the box.

> Too bad. This is not working....
> Cost me some swearing.

Hope this helps,