[sane-devel] Canon PIXMA MX890

Henry Ptasinski henry at logout.com
Thu Nov 29 17:31:38 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 11:34:08AM +0900, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 2:43 AM, Henry Ptasinski <henry at logout.com> wrote:
> > On 11/28/2012 09:38 AM, Henry Ptasinski wrote:
> >>
> >> Flatbed scans with resolutions up to 600 dpi all seem to be working
> >> fine.  At 1200 and 2400 dpi, the images are mangled.  Columns appear to
> >> be interleaved at both resolutions.  I assume the problem is due to a
> >> missing check in pixma_mp150.c:post_process_image_data().  Any
> >> suggestions for how to start fixing this issue?
>

> Hello Henry,
> Yes, that is the correct solution. We know by now that many newer
> devices require this exception, but we will only add the exception
> when someone reports it, as that is the only sure way to tell.
> Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Nice to know that both
> 1200 and 2400 work without extra image data manipulation necessary
> too.

I've sent a patch for this issue to the list, so hopefully that can be
included shortly.

Any thoughts on the timeout issue?  Simply changing the timeout value in
wait_until_ready() seems like a hack.  Also, it doesn't solve all of the
starup issues - if the printer has been sitting for quite a while
unused, other errors show up:

[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of pixma to 3.
[pixma] pixma is compiled without pthread support.
[pixma] Could not read pixma configuration file: pixma.conf
[pixma] pixma version 0.17.0
[pixma] pixma_collect_devices() found Canon PIXMA MX890 Series at
libusb:003:002
[pixma] sanei_bjnp_find_devices:
[pixma] wlan1 is IPv4 capable, sending broadcast, socket = 3
[pixma] wlan1 is IPv6 capable, sending broadcast, socket = 4
[pixma] pixma_open(): Canon PIXMA MX890 Series
[pixma] Reader task id=2867 (forked)
[pixma] Reader task started
[pixma]
[pixma] pixma_scan(): start
[pixma]   line_size=1329 image_size=588747 channels=3 depth=8
[pixma]   dpi=150x150 offset=(0,0) dimension=443x443
[pixma]   gamma_table=0x25a90b8 source=0
[pixma]   threshold=127 threshold_curve=0
[pixma] pixma_scan() failed EPROTO
[pixma] Reader task terminated: EPROTO
[pixma] read_image():reader task closed the pipe:0 bytes received,
588747 bytes
expected
scanimage: sane_read: Error during device I/O
[pixma] pixma_close(): Canon PIXMA MX890 Series

This proto failure seems to go away after the printer has some time to
wake up, at which point the wait_until_ready() value seems to come into
play.

Likely unrelated, I'm using the -d flag to scanimage, so why is
sanei_bjnp_find_devices() still sending out discovery messages over the
network?

Thanks,
---
Henry Ptasinski