[sane-devel] scanner not found

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Tue Apr 2 23:45:33 UTC 2013

Hi Johannes,

Johannes Meixner writes:

> Hello Olaf,
>
> On Mar 26 07:57 Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>> [...]
>> The reason that yast2 cautions about it use is most likely because the
>> plugin is non-free so you cannot help yourself or have others help you
>> when you have a problem with it.
>
> FYI
> this is the text that the YaST scanner module currently shows:
> The third-party Image Scan driver software from Epson/Avasys
> is required. The Image Scan driver software is made and provided
> by Epson (formerly Avasys)
> http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/?OSC=LXEpson
> (formerly Avasys http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/)
> where RPM packages for 32-bit (i386) and 64-bit (x86_64) architecture
> can be downloaded (if you accept the Epson/Avasys license agreements).
> The Image Scan driver contains proprietary binary-only software.
> For some models it is only available for 32-bit (i386) architecture
> which does not work when you have a 64-bit system installation.
> Some scanners are also supported by another (free-software) driver.
> When your scanner model requires a DFSG non-free (proprietary) module,
> you have to download and install two packages from Epson/Avasys:
> The 'iscan' package for the base software and an additional
> model dependant 'iscan-plugin' package with the proprietary module.
>
> I notice that the URL in the YaST text is not correct
> (it works but the OS is not preselected to be "Linux").

Hmm,

  http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/?OSC=LX

works fine for me.  The OS is preselected, just wishing it would put
focus in the product name entry field.

> When I update this text, I may remove the "formerly Avasys" parts.

That "formerly Avasys" part makes it sound as if AVASYS CORPORATION was
assimilated by EPSON CORPORATION.  That not being the case, I'd for one
be happy to see it gone.  It'd be nice though if AVASYS CORPORATION were
mentioned as the author/developer, maintainer and packager.

# Sorry for shouting all those company names but it seems I have to ;-|

> Are there other errors or inappropriate wording that should be fixed?

I would strongly suggest to remove the word "driver" as the binary
packages include a SANE backend and a SANE-ish frontend that works with
it (and the SANE net backend).  The backend itself can be used without
any DFSG non-free bits for most models via other SANE frontends.  That
said, the binary packages that are distributed do contain DFSG non-free
bits.

Contrary to the YaST text, you do not have to install the iscan-plugin
package.  You loose deskew and autocrop support, that's all.  Besides,
this support is only activated for the GT-S50, GT-S55, GT-S80, GT-S85
models (as of writing) and their overseas variants.

# BTW, you can recompile with ENABLE_SANEI_MAGIC defined to a non-zero
# value to use a DFSG free implementation that is activated (but mostly
# untested!) for all models.

BTW, the official name for the software is "Image Scan! for Linux".
Also, "dependant" is a noun, you probably want to use the adjective
which is "dependent".

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962