[sane-devel] Problems with MX712 via Network

Louis Lagendijk louis at fazant.net
Wed Jul 17 16:30:51 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-07-17 at 08:49 -0700, warnes wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> First, thanks for all the work that goes into running a project like this!
> I'm providing this information to help debugging the Canon PIXMA MX710
> series support.
>
> I have a brand new Canon Pixma MX712 ($54.99 at BJ's!). Since the sane-pixma
> 1.0.23 driver wasn't happy, I've installed sane-backends 1.0.24git, and I'm
> having mixed success scanning documents.
>
> At times, everything runs nicely, other times I get connection or I/O
> errors.  Sometimes there seems to be no trigger for the errors, other times
> they seem to be triggered by a problem, such as a paper-jam in the
> auto-document feeder.
>
> O/S:        Ubuntu 13.04
> Frontend: SimpleScan (when it works)
> SANE version:
>                scanimage -V
>                scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.24git; backend version 1.0.24
>
> Results of successful scanimage -T:   success.txt
> <http://sane.10972.n7.nabble.com/file/n17777/success.txt>
> Results of failed scanimage -T:  failure.txt
> <http://sane.10972.n7.nabble.com/file/n17777/failure.txt>
>
> Turning off the printer when it is not working *sometimes* resolves the
> problem.
The dirst question is: does scanning over USB work well? If so, we can
start debugging the network code. If not, we need to look at the backend
itself....

If USB works well, please try the following:
export SANE_DEBUG_BJNP=3
and perform a scan (preferably using scanimage) and mail me the
resulting logfile

Kind regards, Louis