[sane-devel] Brother Driver problem

jerry jerry at tr2.com
Mon Jun 23 17:17:42 UTC 2014

All,
    I had a problem with the Brother SANE driver on a recent 64-bit
Ubuntu system.  It had worked on older systems.
No matter what I did, scanimage -L would not find that networked
brother scanner.  The problem turned out to be
the library location.  Brother had put their libraries in /usr/lib64.
Which is apparently old news, and more modern
distros use a long directory name with bitlength and processor
architecture embedded.  I moved the libraries and their symlinks to the
right place, and everything worked.

    Seems simple now, but it caused me some real heartburn.  Figured it
out with strace.  Hope this email will help other people not suffer with
it.

              - Jerry Kaidor