[sane-devel] sane manpage out of date

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Tue Oct 7 23:45:25 UTC 2014

Mark Ballard writes:

> Dear Sane Devs
>
> The sane-epson manpage is sending users up a dead-end alley.

Indeed, it does.  The NEWS file mentions that the epson backend was
deprecated in 1.0.20 (released 5 years, 5 months and 5 days ago).
You should be using the epson2 backend instead.  This backend started
life as a clone of the epson backend.

The idea was to remove the epson backend a release (or two) later, IIRC.
Apparently that didn't happen.

@m. allan noah: Would you take a patch that disables building of the
                epson backend by default?  What about one that drops
                the backend from the source tree completely?  I can
                prepare one if you like.

> I do think it discredits the good work he clearly did on maintaining
> sane-epson when he was able, that his fellows in the community have so
> neglected his legacy that they haven't even bothered to update the
> manpage.
>
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/intrepid/man5/sane-epson.5.html

While intrepid is ancient, the same manual page is listed for trusty.

> Meanwhile, pity the poor user.
>
> Mark Ballard

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962