[sane-devel] HP 5590 ADF end of page

Protected spamme at modanese.net
Sun Oct 26 10:26:41 UTC 2014

Hello Rainer,

>> First some background: I'm using 64-bit openSUSE 13.1 and SANE 1.0.23
>> (provided by the packet manager) along with an HP ScanJet 5590 scanner
>> and have been running into some problems lately with the ADF unit.
> You wrote "lately". Does this mean the behavior has changed? I make similar
> experiences as you described but I have them from the beginning.
Well, I'm not sure when it started to appear, since other people have
used the scanner before me and it's only been a few months that I was
assigned to take care of the problem. I suppose it must have been there
since the beginning, and it just went by unnoticed.

>> After
>> some 20+ pages have been scanned, the bottom of one page starts to show
>> up in the next one.
> My observation is that the scanner scans about 5 mm more than expected. This
> is not depending on the papersize. This means with every page you see 5 mm
> more of the next page at the bottom of the current page. But for me this start
> directly with the first scanned page.
I've also observed something similar on my end, but it's always a random
amount of pixels that end up getting added at the end (or start, I'm not
sure) of the image. So just setting a bigger page size wouldn't work.

>> Is there a reason this is not used by SANE to separate the pages? Or
>> were you just unaware of this resource?
> As far as I can see there is no "page change" notification in the API. At least
> I didn't find it when trying to change the driver. The driver is given the
> expected page size and has to deliver exactly that amount of scanned lines.
> If the scanner provides more lines for whatever reason it does not handle
> that. Each page is separated by  the scanimage tool by counting the scanned
> lines.
Maybe the "page change" notification as you put it is nowhere to be
found in the API because it's already there in the image (i.e. the blue
pixel).

Best,

Augusto