[sane-devel] 1.0.25 is out, now what?

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Mon Oct 19 13:20:25 UTC 2015

Hi Devs,

It took two years before 1.0.25 saw the light of day but it has been out
for two weeks now.  Are we going to wait another two years for 1.0.26?
I sincerely hope not.

One of the things that I think contributed to the long period between
releases is the lack of a milestone, plan and/or schedule.  Alioth does
not seem to have any kind of functionality that can help with that so I
have set up a milestone[1] at my sane-backends GitLab clone[2].

 [1] https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/milestones/1
 [2] https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends

And as the current content pretty much sums things up for now, I might
as well just copy-and-paste it:

> This is a very unofficial milestone for the goals for
> sane-backends-1.0.26.  I will update this with feedback from the
> sane-devel mailing list.
>
>  - modernize the autofoo bits
>  - fix all compiler warnings
>  - bump language level to C99
>  - default to libusb-1.0
>
> I would like to get the release into the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and Fedora
> 24 releases.  That implies that we need to release by early February
> 2016.

Adding support for new devices, improving functionality for devices that
are already supported and fixing bugs will be part of 1.0.26 as well but
I think that that goes without saying.  Said it anyway and maybe that is
just as well.  Better be explicit.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome.

I've already started on the first item in a local topic branch that I
hope to push soonish.

Hope this helps,
Support Free Software               Support the Free Software Foundation
https://my.fsf.org/donate                        https://my.fsf.org/join